How does your school know if my child needs extra help?

  • If your child is transferring to St Cecilia’s and already has special educational need, your primary school will inform the Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator at St Cecilia’s. These children form the majority of SEND students at the school.
  • There is planning between the schools and with parents/carers in Year 6 to support the student’s move from primary to secondary school.
  • On entry to the school, all students undertake CAT tests and screened within certain core academic skills. This system can pick up potential difficulties at the earliest stage.
  • Some children do well at primary school but find the transition to secondary education more difficult. The teachers are highly alert so that such areas of need are spotted early and classroom interventions put in place to support at the onset.
  • The school listens to parents. Sometimes, the first signs of difficulty are picked up through conversation at home so parents are always welcome to contact the school to talk about concerns.

What should I do if I think my child may have a special educational need or disability? Who can I contact for further information?

  • If you are concerned about your child’s abilities, the school will listen to your concerns, discuss them with you and agree on a plan that might only need light monitoring or might require assessment by specialist staff or external agencies.
  • You can contact the school by phone, letter, e-mail or fax (please see contact details on the home page of the school website).
  • It will be OK to contact the school through a family friend or professional translator if you feel more comfortable using a language other than English
  • If your child is still at primary school, talk to your child’s teacher there who can help you look at any issues and make links with St Cecilia’s to help prepare for the next year.

What is an EHCP?

An EHCP is a legal document that identifies a child’s SEN needs and focuses on the support required to meet agreed outcomes. The key difference between a statement of SEN and EHCPs is that, as well as the educational elements covered in statements, EHCPs also outline the child’s health and social care needs, outcomes and support

How will I know if your school is supporting my child? How will I know how my child is doing? How is student progress monitored?

All students:

  • The school will always send you a letter to let you know if we are proposing to offer your child support that is additional to or different from what is already in place for all mainstream students.
  • Parent Evenings are both opportunities to discuss your child’s progress and needs and to find out about support options.
  • Parents are always welcome to contact their child’s Form Tutor at any time to discuss particular concerns as they arise.

Students with Statements and EHCPs:

  • Your child will have identified needs and an education plan in place from the time they start at St Cecilia’s.
  • In addition to the Parents Evenings, students will have an Annual Review of their progress and needs. This comes in the form of a full written school report in advance of a specially arranged face to face meeting between parents and staff. During this meeting, students, parents and staff have the chance to express their views about the progress being made and the provision they are receiving at school.

How will the curriculum be matched to my child’s needs? How are the school’s resources allocated to these needs?

  • All staff receive training, (through a yearly programme of Continuing Professional Development seminars).
  • Teachers also have access to the profiles of students known to have specific needs and they can collaborate with the Assisted Support for Learning staff to build adaptations to activities especially for those individual students.
  • Some lessons benefit from having a teaching assistant in the class who can spot difficulties and help to give instant support
  • You will have opportunities to discuss exam choices in Year 9 with the aim of selecting subjects based on your child’s strengths and interests.

What specialist services and expertise are available at the school?

  • The school brings in additional expertise (assessment, staff training and intervention) from outside agencies, including:
  • Educational psychology
  • Occupational therapy

How will you help me in supporting my child’s learning at home?

  • The school provides parents with advice on how to support your child’s homework Parents are always welcome to contact their child’s Form Tutor for more specific advice at any time.
  • The school sets homework via the Show my homework application, enabling parents to read detailed homework set by subject teachers and monitor completion and quality of homework.
  • Parents will be invited to attend other specific events during the year e.g. Options Evening which give further support to parents and students.
  • Your child’s recent reports will include a section on support strategies, many of which apply to home as well as school life. If you are not sure how you can apply them, contact the author of the report for further information.
  • Annual reports written at St Cecilia’s School often contain advice that will be discussed and developed with you at the face-to-face Annual Review meeting.
  • Parents are always welcome to contact their child’s support team for ongoing advice

What support will there be for my child’s well-being?

  • It is vital that all students in our school feel valued, cared for, confident and supported.
  • Staff providing additional support to students with special educational needs automatically within quality first teaching.
  • Ensuring that the student knows who they can talk to if they have any
  • Lessons about making and keeping friends, having successful
  • Conversations, independence in school.
  • Staff mentors
  • Peer mentors
  • Students who have social, emotional and mental health issues or develop them later on are offered additional measures to help them cope read more on the social, emotional and mental health page.

How will the school help prepare my child for transfer to post-16 education or to another school?

  • All students will complete a 1 week work experience at the end of Year 10. This helps to give students a taste of a working environment and can help inform them about which course they would like to take, post-16.
  • Students will receive support with completing college applications.
  • School staff will liaise with work experience placements to ensure that their staff are aware of student needs.
  • Identified students will undergo transition programmes supported by members of the Assisted Support for Learning team.

Learning And Literacy

Sensory And/Or Physical Needs

Speech, Language And Social Communication

Social And Emotional Health

To Top