As a department we aim to give all pupils the opportunity to explore their creative and innovative side. We work through a variety of materials to allow the learners to combine practical and intellectual skills; the sustainability, economical and environmental issues are considered and applied to all products. Every learner is challenge to their potential which enables them to engage in all lessons and be successful. The pupils evaluate and analysis present and past technology’s and its uses and effects. The creative atmosphere in all areas allows the pupils to learn in an independent and enthusiastic environment.
Key Stage 3
Year 7- Food and cooking
Pupils develop their practical skills preparing a range of dishes safely and hygienically. Students apply their knowledge of healthy eating in the design and preparation of dishes.
Year 8- Diet and health
Pupils further develop their practical skills and knowledge in Year 8, making dishes relating to specific nutrients and healthy eating.
Year 9- Making Choices
Pupils apply their knowledge of nutrition when planning meals, taking into account the nutrients required throughout life and recommended healthy eating guidelines.
GCSE Food Preparation and Nutrition
Assessment: Written exam 50% Practical assessments 50%
Component 1 – Principles of Food Preparation and Nutrition – 50%
Written Examination: 1 hour 45 Minutes
Areas of Content
- Food commodities
- Principle of nutrition
- Diet and good health
- The science of food
- Where food comes from
- Cooking and food preparation
Component 2 – Food preparation and Nutrition in Action – 50%
2 practical assessments undertaken in Year 11
Assessment 1: The Food Investigation Assessment – 15%
Students will devise practical tests to show the working characteristics of ingredients in answer to a task set by the exam board
- Research and plan the task.
- Investigate the working characteristics, chemical properties of ingredients through practical experimental work.
- Analyse and evaluate the task.
- Produce a report with evidence of the above to support the investigation.
Assessment 2: The Food Preparation Assessment – 35%
Students will plan, prepare, cook and present a selection of dishes, to meet a particular requirement, such as a dietary need or lifestyle choice set by the exam board.
- Investigate and plan the task, select a final menu that showcases skills and techniques.
- Prepare, cook and present a menu of three dishes.
- Evaluate the selection, preparation and cooking of the three dishes.
- Produce a portfolio of evidence relating to the selection of dishes, planning and evaluation.